As the travel industry begins to rebound in 2023, hotel owners and administrators need to stay informed about the latest trends to ensure they are positioning their properties and services in the best way possible. In this article, we'll take a look at some of the most important travel trends for 2023 and provide insights and tips on how hotel owners and administrators can make the most of them.
For a comprehensive overview of the travel behaviors we expect will shape the year to come, we’ve compiled a summary of 2023 travel trends for hoteliers in a downloadable guide, designed to ensure you capitalise on every opportunity and scale your success.
Here are just a few of the predictions and insights that we think will be pivotal for the year ahead:
Sustainability has been a growing concern in the travel industry for the past few years, and it's expected to be even more important in 2023 and beyond. As travelers become more aware of the environmental impact of their travel choices, they are looking for ways to reduce their carbon footprint and support sustainable practices.
For hotel owners and administrators, this means finding ways to promote sustainable practices and attract eco-conscious travelers. Some ways to do this include:
- Offering eco-friendly amenities such as reusable water bottles, low-flow showerheads, and energy-efficient lighting.
- Implementing recycling and waste reduction programs.
- Supporting local conservation efforts and promoting sustainable tourism in the surrounding area.
- Offering packages and activities that promote sustainable experiences and transport options.
After long periods of travel restrictions, travelers are determined to get out and explore the world again and pent-up demand promises to boost bookings for the whole industry. This demand is being dubbed ‘revenge travel’ and it’s expected to be a major travel trend in 2023.
For hotel owners and administrators, this means adapting to the needs of travelers who are looking to make up for lost time. Some ways to do this include:
- Reevaluate your partnerships with local communities to offer packages and activities that align with ‘bucket list’ aspirations.
- Offering flexible cancellation policies to accommodate last-minute changes.
- Providing information and resources on local activities and attractions to help travelers make the most of their trip.
- Offering packages and deals that make it easy for travelers to book multiple nights or activities.
Did you know that around 43% of travelers are planning to increase their budget in 2023? And when considering the luxury traveler, this is no small increase to spending. Hotel owners and administrators can capitalize on this trend by offering high-end amenities and experiences that cater to the demands of those seeking to awaken their senses in style this year.
Here are a few of the ways that hotel owners can attract and cater for luxury travelers in 2023:
- Scale up your customer service and offer bespoke, personalized experiences to guests
- Consider how you might accommodate increases in specific luxury travel, such as yachting, luxury wildlife explorations, and even conservation programs to affluent travelers looking for once-in-a-lifetime trips.
- Offer luxurious amenities such as spa services, private balconies, and in-room fireplaces.
A combination of business and leisure travel, ‘bleisure’ travel took off in 2022 and is expected to remain at the forefront of 2023 travel trends as the line between corporate and leisure travel continues to blur for many of today’s travelers.
But it’s not only remote workers who are changing their travel behaviors - business travelers are also capitalizing on this trend and extending their trip lengths to capitalize on time out of the office.
It’s important that you consider how to cater for this fast-growing travel trend, such as:
- Ensuring you offer rooms and spaces with high-speed internet connections.
- Considering how your hotel rooms can accommodate travelers looking to work, as well as relax, during their stay.
Destinations Hoteliers Need To Watch in 2023
It’s crucial that as a hotel owner you’re considering where your perfect travel customer wants to visit, and how you can accommodate these behaviors for the year to come. Drawing the right traveler at the right time is only possible if you understand what today’s traveler is seeking.
From tourists seeking ‘bucket-list’ experiences and long-haul trips to destinations like the Great Barrier Reef, or Killamanjaro, to travelers seeking immersive stays in some of the most visually captivating locations around the world, the trends of 2023 are set to benefit hotel owners who monopolize on the needs of today’s traveler.
Whether you’re a luxury hotel who can offer an immersive, restful trip to your customers, or you can provide activities and experiences for the curious, conscious traveler, understanding which destinations are top of mind for today’s traveler is key. This allows you to attract your ideal traveler and provide the experience they’re after.
For more insights on 2023 travel trends and inspirational pointers for how you can cater to these as hotel owners, download our guide to see where we think travelers want to go in 2023, and the activities and experiences that are shaping 2023 travel.
We hope you find our predictions and insights beneficial to navigate the year ahead, and ensure a successful 2023 for your property.
Are you ready to distribute your property to the world’s largest network of B2B travel buyers? Register your property today for free, and start maximising your success as a hotel owner.